Re: Gallery 5-16-09

Thanks, Mark, for your comment on my photograph, and to Linda, whose words inspire.

I just posted these thoughts in my Facebook:
I have three rules for knowing a great photo, all starting with the letter N: Nice, New, Nifficult.

Nice is the result of following traditional advice about composition, background, color, subject, lighting, and details in shadows and highlights. Nice is what you see repeatedly displayed in sleek men's magazines -- the same, monotonous poses of beautiful women. You've seen one, you've see all. Because nice is the product of education.

New is innovation in approach, such as shooting from an unexpected angle, from a tree for instance, or from an extremely low position, or presenting a subject never seen before, such as a transparent frog, or arranging the elements so that a strikingly new combination comes out. New is beyond education. It is the realm of discovery, and makes the viewer find excitement again in a drab world.

Nifficult is the mark of rare talent and makes the viewer, and even a professional photographer, wonder: "How did he do that?" Nifficult is the product of patience and unusual technique -- of spending days and nights in the forest, waiting for the elusive beast to spring into the frame of recognition, or inventing a gadget to bring a live human fetus into focus. The process of making a Nifficult photo is difficult to duplicate, if at all.

Many pictures featured in National Geographic are not simply nice, but usually new, and those that are made from a difficult journey or contraption or angle usually comes out on the front page. Steve McCurry's "Afghan Girl" is my favorite nifficult: a rare subject, her eyes luminous jewels, sneaked out by a frightened princess from the terrible landscape of war.
Elson
Writer Without Residence: http://elson.elizaga.net
Selling a Sacred Mountain: http://tinyurl.com/c35tzm
Mark Harris wrote:
All,

Here are my thoughts on this weeks crowded gallery:

Bobbie Blazy: I really like the viewpoint. The flowers could have use a little fill but it is a very nice image.

Rob Miracle: A very good example of panning with a moving subject. You are very good at this.

Valery Firsov: Beautifully made! This would not have worked at all without the black background.

John Palcewski: A nice juxtaposition of the women. The one on the left looks really angry about something.

Guy Glorieux: I like old cemeteries too. This is a nice composition of the headstones. Have you ever considered photographing this in B&W?

Emily L. Ferguson: This is a nice capture. The gannet is slightly too centered for my taste.

Roy H. Miller: An interesting image. The colors are a bit surreal.

Sherie Taylor: A nicely composed image. I like the reflection of the pink roof glowing under the bridge. It might have been even better if there was a bit more contrast in the sky.

Elson T. Elizaga: This is a very good action shot of a child. You never really know what might happen when you give children something new to experiment with.

Thanks to the gallery staff for putting this together every week. I look forward to any feedback, good or bad, on my photograph.

Mark Harris

believed to be clean.