Re: Is this something or nothing?

Andy:

: Herschel, I think the "trial-and-error" (or as you say analogue) way of
finding
: the best rotation point is the most efficient and practical way. The
location of
: the point seems to depend on a number of things and accounting for them
all is
: probably not a simple matter if you don't have information about the
internal
: design of the lens. And even if you do it is not simple!  - andy

nicely put, and the only way I've ever done it  :)

to be honest, I've never been able to calculate nodal points in lenses
especially well - and zooms (effective multifocal length lenses) at all!
Given lens makers round everything anyway, '50mm' lenses are often not..
any calculations are likely to be as erronoous as aperture calculations
based on convenient f numbers ;)

karl