Re: Need Help w/ Resource for Digital Film Scanner Reviews

Hi Bobby,

Have been looking at the same items over the past few days, so I understand your problems.

My findings are:

1.    B&H under "slide copier" have basically 2 units.

One replaces the lens, I have a similar unit designed for 35 mm cameras, and it covers 1:1 for a full slide to 2:1 for cropping. I am not sure if, as the digital camera sensor is smaller, the lens included has been changed to allow the full slide coverage or does it only cover approx 2/3.

The second option is a unit which fits on the end of the lens amd may need a step up/down convertor to fit your lrens.

2. An English magazine, Digital Photo, in the April 2009 issue (which I received 2 days ago) has a review of an "Ion" brand 35 mm slide 2 PC scanner. It has a CMOS sensor and acts like a camera, via USB port. I have also found similar items on Ebay (Australia) in Cameras/Photographic Accessories/Other Accessories and searching on "slide copier" The review indicates a green cast in the output. I have actually located one in a local camera shop and can see it tomorrow, possibly even bring it home on spec. (Have dealt with the shop for nearly 40 years). If I like it I pay for it, otherwise I return.

Unfortunately these options are only for 35 mm.

I am yet to decide which way to go, may use my Macro lens and build a jig to hold the slide holder from my other unit in the appropriate position, then a lamp for checking, and possibly flash for exposure. Probably be a week before I decide which way to go. Each option has pros & cons.

Hope this has been of some help to you, and please advise through the group if you find any more options.

Regards,

Jim Thyer.

----- Original Message ----- From: "bLaZy boBBie" <stopbarking@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:46 AM
Subject: Need Help w/ Resource for Digital Film Scanner Reviews

Hi!

Nice to be back, hope to figure out how to see the Gallery and
get back on that list.

Been distracted a few years, just coming around enough to think about my
passion again!

I am looking for review resources on digital film scanners,
for 35mm, and medium format. Cannot find any to look at
in person.

Not interested in flatbed.

I want to archive these things in case someone wants to see
them one day. Mostly I want to share them online, maybe print to
16 x 20.

Last time I saw a film scanner it was the Nikon, that was a long time ago.

Please share review resources or your suggestions.

- Bobbie

.