Re: PF main exhibit on MAR 07, 2009

At 8:33 AM -0500 3/7/09, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated MAR 07, 2009. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

              J Michael Sullivan - South Dakota Badlands - 026

Nice report.  Subject, verb, object.  It would be nice to have some adjectives.

              Tina Manley -

The color is very intense on my monitor causing me to wonder if it's really that green. complicating that for me in this image is the rainbow, which usually refers to moisture. I wish there were some of that here.

              Greg Fraser - Silence

Another report, but with adjectives. I like the way the roof slants down along the plane established by the tree.

              Andrew Brooks - Moonlit Valley

More adjectives here, less report somehow. I like the diagonal lines, especially between the two light sources, and having one of them outside the palette of the rest of the image, while not being contrived, is very agreeable to me.

              Russ Baker - Mikki

Why? Why would a woman want to wear that getup and why would anyone want to shoot it? Yuck.

              Alan Zinn -

That's a lot of weight on that one little base. I wonder the big monster doesn't fall off when the bike goes around a curve quickly! Aside from the tenuousness of the anchoring of the camera, I find the image very difficult to decipher. So many wheels and spokes - how many bikes and what kind of bikes do they belong to.

              Trevor Cunningham - fish merchant in the russian market

So many textures - her clothing a jumble, cut off by her boots and gloves, the fish innerds that she's scraping at, the plastic sieves. The placid expression in her face leads me to sense that she's not particularly unhappy with her role.

              Jeff Saxman -

Interesting the emphasis on the canine, I wanted to find the other canine so I could look at the little head straight on.

              Rob Miracle - Snowy Tree

It's a pretty nice tree, except for its struggle to get a straight start in life. And there kind of isn't anywhere else much to put in the frame without reducing the situation to subject, verb, object. But I'm not real excited about something about it. Maybe it's because the tree leans out of the image. Could you have left a lot more on the right side? Or was there some dumb condo or parking lot there?

I think the real relationship is between the tree and the fire hydrant. Crop off the left side of the tree, and the top 2/3rds and at least half the snow at the bottom and make the tree lean affectionately towards its bright red friend!

It's so nice to see so many wintry contributions this week. I am regretfully watching the last snow of a slushy winter melt away as I write here. I was able to grasp three days all winter long when the show was photogenic and I could keep from coughing every 30 seconds, and I really like winter and snow, especially up against the ocean. Thanks to all who have put their snows out for us to see this year.

Looking forward to next week's gallery!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx