Photo education

Hello all,
I know that there are some great teachers here on the forum, from a wide range of schools. I'm looking for some input on a project given to me by my department head. I've been asked to look into setting up either a hybrid, or an entirely online, introductory photo course and I'm wondering about some of your experiences. As there are other online college level photo classes out there (Savannah College of Art and Design comes to mind), hopefully this won't be a "recreating the wheel" kind of thing.

Have you ever offered or participated in setting up either a hybrid or entirely online photography class? What were the main challenges that you faced? How did you overcome these challenges? Did you use a specific online site (Black Board, My Complab, Secondlife etc.) to help facilitate the the course? What do you feel were the strengths of offering an online photo course? Weaknesses? Did you feel that the course progressed in a way that you expected? What kind of either positive or negative feedback did you receive from your students?

Students too: Have you taken an online (for credit, college level) photo class? What college was the class offered through? Was it a positive experience? What did you feel were the strengths of the class? What, if any, were the weaknesses of the class? How do you feel that it could have been made stronger?

All of your responses will be kept strictly confidential. I will only be using your input to decide how to best pursue this project. I will be at the SPE conference in Dallas later in the month asking these same questions, so if you see me say hi.

Please feel free to email your responses directly to me as I don't want to use up too much of the lists time and bandwidth.

Sincerely,

Hans Klemmer
Photography Faculty,
College of DuPage