RE: Intellectual Property issues

I'm trying to avoid getting side-tracked on issues that I think you're
wrong on, but which aren't the big important issue, since that's big
enough to occupy any amount of time we want to put into discussing it.

On Sat, February 28, 2009 22:39, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Property  1.  a possession  2.  Something tangible or intangible to which
> its owner has a legal title   Intellectual  Of or pertaining to intellect
>  The ability to think abstractly or profoundly.  Actually intellectual
> property is a bit like any other property, but the only real difference is
> how it comes into existence.  If a man goes out and builds a canoe with
> his own two hands, its his.  It is his to control.  There are no
> situations where someone can steal it and claim ownership or whoops.  He
> can pass it down to his son, and his son to his son and no one ever
> questions it.  At no point in that canoe's life can anyone come and say,
> ok the guy that built it is dead and its been over 75 years so anyone that
> wants to use that canoe can do so for free without permission from anyone,
> including the builders family.   In fact that family would likely be left
> standing on the bank watching.  You don't take the ownership of a home
> away from a family because the man that built it has been dead for over 75
> years.  It is all a possesion to which one has a legal title.

The historical basis of the patent and copyright systems has always been
to create a NEW short-term right for the creator, to allow them to profit
from their creativity more than they could before, in return for their
creation becoming part of the public domain at the end of that term.  Even
cursory research into the history of patents and copyrights makes this
very clear.

Before the 18th century, there was no copyright.  This didn't, obviously,
prevent there from being a thriving literary and dramatic and musical
scene, but as technology improved and those things became more important
to society, and the technology for reproducing and transmitting those
works got more available (printing and trade), society started to feel
that the people creating these works they liked so much weren't being
treated decently.  So they invented a completely new kind of right, never
before considered -- a specific right *to make copies*.  Which was called
"copyright".

Historically, your view of copyright is simply false-to-fact.  The people
who invented copyright did not see it anything like the way you apparently
do.

The book is in fact a possession just like the canoe; the copyright
doesn't change that relationship.  Copyright adds a NEW right; copyright
prevents you from making another copy of the book, or even a substantial
part of the book *during the term of the copyright*.

> The only real difference between that canoe and a book, is one was created
> with the man's hands.  The other was created with his mind and soul.
> Which has more value???  How its treated legally is a joke.  Its not an
> abstract.  The thought process itself might be abstract, but once its
> becomes a product such as an image or book, it is not an abstract at all.
> It can be touched, handled and sold or given away just like any other
> property.

Yes, and copyright does not control the handling of the physical book that
can be touched, handled, and sold or given away; it controls the *contents
of* the book, a much more abstract entity.

> Being in copyright doesn't mean you can't do anything with it.  Quite the
> opposite, and the big companies know it.  It does mean you can not do
> anything with it FOR FREE!!!!  You might buy a copyrighted product just as
> easily as you buy a canoe.

If I, as a publisher, want to publish a book, and that book is in
copyright, I have to find the copyright owner and get permission.  This
isn't an issue for *new* books; the copyright owner is the person
submitting the manuscript (sometimes via an agent), so you've got him
right there to negotiate a deal with him, and for him to benefit from the
deal.  This is copyright working properly.

However, suppose you want to reprint a story from Amazing Stories from
June 1935.  Since the magazines bought first serial rights, finding the
successor corporation to the original publisher won't help, they don't own
the rights currently.  So what you've got to work with is the name of the
author (which may be a pseudonym).  Some of them are still alive, maybe,
or at least their children are still alive and remember their parent's
glorious writing career.  But sometimes it's a couple of generations and
namechanges down the road.  So the net effect of the work still being in
copyright is that the work cannot be included in a new anthology; or at
least that the editor has to be willing to do a lot of work to find the
rights holder.  Much of the art that's important *to me* is not the
big-name obvious hugely popular stuff.

Mind you, I'm not saying the editor should be able to "steal" the work.
In fact, the way some editors have handled this (it involves taking a
legal risk) is to set aside the same payment rate they're giving to other
rights holders that they can find in a trust account to be claimed by the
author whenever they come forward.  So far as I know, no author has tried
to sue for the amount being inadequate, so we don't know what would
happen; that's the risk I mention.  If it's a rate that lots of other
equally-prominent authors are accepting, perhaps the court will protect
the editor in this case.

But this is an example of how copyright makes works unavailable.
Copyright is NOT benefiting the author if it is not causing money to flow
from publishers to that author!

Similarly, many authors would like to quote some poetry or song lyrics in
chapter headings or in the body of the text.  Turns out that the courts
think as little as one line of a multi-page poem is protected by
copyright.  And some of the estates are asking for $50 to quote one line
of poetry.  My wife has had to deal with this; from some poets, when she
could find them, she got permission cheaply or for free.  Others wanted a
high enough rate that she felt she couldn't afford it, and removed the
quotation or found another.  In both cases, it was a massive amount of
work.  Lesson learned: try to keep popular and classical poetry out of
your story, because it's very hard to find who has the rights, and
sometimes they have unreasonable demands.  What's the result?
Less-realistic dialog!  Song lyrics and poetry are very important to some
people, and if those people appear in a story, and you don't use
recognizable real lyrics for the period, it can be a problem.  This is an
example of how long copyright terms interferes with the "conversation"
that is art; when the song lyrics inform society, society then quotes
those lyrics.  But due to copyright, a writer portraying recent society
has to be very careful about that.   (One friend, an award-winning poet
and author, wrote her a complete set of chapter heading verses for one
book, for free.)

My favorite books were out of print for about a decade at one point, and
my understanding was that it was largely due to people being unable to
find the rights holder; several groups had wanted to reissue them.

For most authors, their big problem is NOT people stealing their work;
their big problem is people NOT KNOWING THEY EXIST.  Ask John Scalzi and
Cori Doctorow!

Historical societies and even just clubs doing archiving have copyright
problems, too.  For example, we got articles and artwork from various
people guests and other members to go in the program books for Minicon, a
science fiction convention run  by the Minnesota Science Fiction Society
Inc.  We have archive copies of these program books in our paper files.
More recently, we've been wanting to put new and old program books on our
web site, to make our history more accessible to people.  Well, golly, we
arguably don't have the rights to publish those articles and images on the
web.  Some of the people we can still find (and we've never been turned
down when we found somebody and asked about this).  Some we can find the
heirs of.  And some we can't find anything.  (Obviously we've thought of
asking for this permission in advance on NEW program books!)  So the
existence of the copyright makes it hard to keep this history visible.
There's no money to be made here that I can see; we're *spending* money
(or volunteer hours) to put this history on the web.  But because it's
under copyright, we need to be very very careful how we proceed, which
uses up volunteer time.

> That's what this current orphan works is
> about.  It really isn't about old photos.  It is much more about the
> attitude of  let see let's find an image we like, don't pay the
> photographer, strip the metadata, and then if caught say whoops it was an
> orphan work. How are you going to prove who stripped the meta data anyway
> unless you are awfully lucky?

I think it's too easy to claim you found it unattributed under that bill.
But I think that "orphan works" is a huge problem, and that it is mostly
caused by the absurd extension of copyright duration that's gone on in the
last 30 years.  My preferred solution would be to just roll back the
copyright term.

> Art will not end.  As a matter of fact you can not copyright an idea.  It
> is the mind that finds art and if there were more protection for ones work
> once done, the economic prospects of those creating new art just might be
> enhanced to the point that more people can see enough of a return on the
> investment of time and money that it could start a new age of creation.

You can't copyright an idea, but still, you can't publish your own story
about Gandalf, Bilbo, and Frodo, either, without either the permission of
the Tolkien estate or if it's a parody (see Bored of the Rings).

Art is full of cross-references -- quoting poetry, referring to
architecture, catch-phrases from TV shows, and so forth.  Visual art very
often includes other elements that could, under a full-blown "copyright
everything" standard, be copyright themselves -- architecture, plants
(either by the person who developed the breed, or by the person who grew
the particular specimen, or both), clothing, and so forth.  Such a regime
would totally change art, and make it much less interesting, because the
interaction between artists would be blocked.

> How any photographer or the creator of any type of IP could support any
> form of orphan works legislation is beyond me, but Id be happy to hear
> your point of view and debate it in a civil and adult manner.

May I suggest that "how any x could support y is beyond me" is already
getting to or past the boundaries of this civil adult discourse we're
hoping for?

My social group includes lots of musicians, writers, and artists of
various sorts, people who make some or all their money from their arts.
You know  how much it would hurt music if band B had to negotiate specific
terms with band A each time they wanted to "cover" one of their songs in
performance or on an album?  I've already talked about the issues with
quoting bits of popular culture in stories.   My wife has published 6
novels, with two more coming out in the next two years.  I've talked to
lots of these people about copyright over the years, and participated in
even more widespread electronic discussions.  Copyright as it has become
in the last few decades is doing tremendous damage to the arts, and to the
careers of young struggling artists.  It's helping mostly big corporations
that manage to own the rights to art they didn't create (since
corporations never create anything).

I'm NOT against copyright overall.  I'm very much in favor of creative
people being paid for their creativity.  I just think the current system
is not very good at it, and the changes in my lifetime are nearly all BAD
changes.

I've sold a number of photos commercially, including illustrating an
entire book at one point.  And my actual day job is software development,
which depends in some areas on IP law as well.  I've thought about this
stuff quite a lot over the last 30 years (I started reading up on
copyright law for photos around 1976).

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info