Re: Possibly another polarized light souce awaiting application

I just looked at my 15" Powerbook screen and my 20" Apple monitor through a circularly polarizing filter. The effect is very slight, ranging from a light tan to a light blue depending on orientation. However, a roughly square piece of 1/8" thick Lexan, with two holes drilled in it, when viewed through the filter with the laptop screen as a light source, shows prominent birefringent effects. Flexing the Lexan slightly increases the effect as the stress increases. I'm not familiar enough with the technique to know whether or not it's suitable for analysis of stress concentrations.

Roger