Re: Infrared schminfrared

From Wikipedia:

CIE division scheme

The International Commission on Illumination (CIE) recommended the division of optical radiation into the following three bands:[4]

A commonly used sub-division scheme is:[5]

NIR and SWIR is sometimes called "reflected infrared" while MWIR and LWIR is sometimes referred to as "thermal infrared." Due to the nature of the blackbody radiation curves, typical 'hot' objects, such as exhaust pipes, often appear brighter in the MW compared to the same object viewed in the LW.

-----Original Message-----
From: ADavidhazy [mailto:andpph@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:04 PM
To: 'List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students'
Subject: Infrared schminfrared

Let me add my $.02 Wavelengths beyond the red (at least for a while) are generally called infrared (or near infrared if close to the visible, like from 700 to 1000 nm and far infrared if above 1000 nm - I just made this up!) but anything that is "imaged" by "thermal infrared" is essentially still infrared but it should be clearly labeled as such and not just be called infrared. Standard digital cameras, like film cameras, can't deal with thermal infrared since the bodies would become warm by the mere act of holding the camera body. AFAIK "infra" simply implies beyond ... there are a lot of wavelengths with special names that are out there beyond infrared in all its manifestations. Then there are the digital newcomers on the block that state they can through software make infrared images - no! if you don't record infrared in a scene no amount of software magic will include in the image any true infrared. One can guess but never be sure since we can't see it. OTSOTM and JMO - ;) andy