set a project..was traveling with expensive camera kit

Never mind the gear for now. Start off with what pictures you're planning to shoot...

Before you go, set yourself a project.
Like "Diner and bar interiors"

Or

"faces of rural people"

Or

"Bathrooms in the hotels I stayed in"

When you're travelling keep focussed on your project so that you don't end up with 50 000 pretty pictures that will only take up space on a hard drive in the end.

Make a project... an assignment as you might get from a magazine or publisher A recent one here was
"My father's house" You might want to do some research on the places you're going and find a commonality.

This will also determine the exact gear you'll need and don't take a pile of stuff you "May" need. Make do with 2 prime lenses or a prime and a medium zoom.

Put them in a plain bag with a pile of memory cards.

As for P&S cameras. You won't find one that matches your D300.
I have looked and the G9 is as good as it gets (Excluding the Leica of course) because they all have these tiny CCD chips and consequent noise problems.

That said, I have had some great pics from the G9 which I'm using to document the migrant labour here. It's small, unobtrusive and it makes a fantastic 11X14 print. The noise doesn't worry me at that magnification. That's all I need for an exhibition

Herschel

Andrew Paul Brooks wrote:
Hi,
     Just after some ideas and advice on traveling as a photographer.  Me and my girlfriend are planning on doing a multi stop world tour,  and I really would like to travel with a good quality dSLR  but I have some worries about safety.  Does anyone have any good tips and advice.

Also I picked up a Cannon G9 with the idea of this being my travel camera,  as it's quite small,  but I've found the images quality is not really as good as I'm looking for,  can anyone recommend a compact which has images quality of a digi SLR(I have a D300 so would like a compact approching that)

Also any tips on file storage when traveling,  I tend to get through 8gig memory cards very quickly which creating getting the RAW elements to create my images ( http://www.andrewbrooksphotography.com/ )

Cheers in advance for any help

Andrew