Gallery Comments

Comments on authors with work now on display at:
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

Fred Hecker, The Maroon Toque: "Elegant" is a good word for this lady...but
"imperious" might be even better. She's definitely aware of you, and
possibly none to pleased. Very nice capture of an urban moment. Overall a
bit soft, but not surprising given the ambient lighting conditions. Sounds
like a good series idea with infinite possibilities.

J. Michael Sullivan, Scituate in Snow: A very pleasing composition, enhanced
by the blue tone...it looks COLD out there! The embossed watermark at lower
right is a minor distraction.

Hans Klemmer, Holy Well, Saul, Northern Ireland: This image is a study in
texture, from the rough and varied stone walls to the silken flow of the
water jet to the smooth plane of the water surface. It also exhibits an
interesting variety of greens (after all, it IS Ireland). A pleasing image,
overall.

Greg Fraser, Blast: Wow! It looks as if the young lady really IS "having a
blast." Great motion effects in the water, and just enough of her face
showing to convey the fun she's having. Did you use flash to help freeze the
motion, or was shutter speed sufficient?

Rob Miracle, Mt. Rainier: I like the composition, with the farm buildings
and trees in the foreground to place the mountain in context, and just
enough cloud detail in the sky to complement the snow on the slopes.

Trevor Cunningham, monk at bayon temple: I don't see any cause for guilt
(the photo would be just as effective if the foreground figure were a
brightly-dressed Western tourist, for example). The composition is strong
and pleasing...quite restful in its effect, especially with the benign
half-smile of the background statue. You've also held detail extremely well,
especially in the shadows.

Bob McCulloch, There Ought to be LIONS: Usually, the advice "move in close
and fill the frame" is effective, but in this case, I feel a wider shot that
showed more of the environment surrounding the primary subject would be
better. Very colorful, but I don't get a sense of "place" (other than the
Mott Street sign at upper left).

Don Roberts, Backhead: This image strikes me as having just the opposite
problem from the preceding one -- I'm seeing too much to make sense of it.
It's an interesting combination of shapes and reflective surfaces, but my
eye doesn't know where to settle. What about a vertical crop of the center
1/3 of the frame, or a tight crop to emphasize the valve handles in the
upper right corner? I'd agree that this could be quite effective in B&W.

jack klasey