Re: Darkroom question...

Mark Rogers wrote:

I did some framing work for Shelly Katz on some civil war pics produced from original negatives in the Smithsonian and you might consider his process. Scan the originals, put them back in a safe dark archival storage place and do all the touch up work in Photoshop.

Cheers,

Mark

http://blog.framedestination.com/

I'm a real darkroom aficionado, but that's what I would do too. Don't tinker with the original.

A way to get all the detail out of the darker parts of the image is to backlight them very strongly, and photograph that. Photographing the original with infrared film and lightsource can get out hidden detail too.

Wilbert