Re: CES 09: Digital cameras to store 136,000 photos

"Emily L. Ferguson"

> 2 Terabytes.  136,000 images?  How small are those images, let me
> find the calculator.

I'm getting 14Mb at my calcs.. pretty small ?  probably for those with Sony Alpha 900s

> Anybody think downloading those images to the computer is going to be
> fun?  How about scrolling through them to choose the ones to have
> printed?  What a blast.

who'd shoot that many I'd be asking.. but then I hear photographers complaining that they had to sort through X number of thousand images shot on a weeken at a sporting event..  personally I think they're nuts.

> Even for movies it doesn't make sense to me.  Pros, whose movie files
> are large, are shooting directly to their computers, I suspect.

really?  I heard they use hard drives which sadly are susceptible to shocks and impacts, something SSD (solid state drives) aren't.  Although SSD's are HORRIBLY expensive!  This really is a small SSD - and will probably be a lot cheaper than a large form facor SSD.

> 2 Terabyes is too small to replace an analog hard drive in a
> computer.  I'd get excited when they get up to 8 Terabytes.

they dont make analogue drives.

but that aside, I just bought my first 1 Tb drive this year, and though I have an additional 2Tb in computers and another 2-4 (hard to keep track) out of computers, I really havent encountered a single individual outside the tech realms who has even a single terabyte drive in their computer.  and the laptop brigade are going to have to wait a few more years for terrabyte storage  .. that is unless they ramp up their storage capacity enourmously with a silent, power eficcient SSD - like this one!

> In addition, there is the card failure/loss consideration.  I don't
> even want a 4 Gig card, thanks.

can you buy smaller than 4Gb these days?  seems around here even supermarkets sell 4Gb in the isles without and special security

I think it's great!  I'll be first out there to buy one.  And I'll replace the spinning, shock vulnerable, power hungry hard drive in my Vosonic backup devie (the image tank) with this, giving me almost 8 tmes the capacity I already have and with probably 4 times the battery life. - and I'll be able to back up 1000 2Gb camera storage cards to it :)

karl