Re: PF member's exhibit updated 12/20/08

It's been a long time since I ventured some comments.  But here are my own very personal thoughts this week on the gallery postings:
 http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

J Michael Sullivan - Making Capelettis
A really first class picture.  Reminds me of some of the great Life magazine picture-stories in the 1950's/60's.  I'd love to see an expanded photo-story on the making of capelettis by J Michael Sullivan.  (Picture contrast is a touch too soft to my taste).

Elson T. Elizaga - Clara watching CNN
The traditional iconic cocooning image of a mother nursing her infant child gets shattered here. The mother is intensely involved with CNN whereas the infant is in its own world.   Absolutely no time or space references.   Two solitudes in perfect harmony...  It would be nice to see a series expanding on this picture.

Renate Volz - regrets block light

A very intriguing image.  Almost as if it were glass-work.  Very well done.

Emily L. Ferguson - Pennsylvania countryside

Blue sky on the left & dark clouds on the right... The roads moves from the lower right corner and disappears into the left...  Sinking or sunk buildings...  I'm not sure what to do with this one...  Do I miss something?

Peeter Vissak - Trollsleep
Stark.  Reminds me of Bergman's "The 7th Seal".  Excellent.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Caught in the Act

It is risky to build a picture around text references.  What if the viewer does not understand the text or does not see what the photographer's mind constructed?  This is what happened here.  Crop the sign out and you have a (possibly) interesting composition. (Far too much unsharp masking).

Christopher Strevens - Indian Shop
The picture does not have the appropriate space or time references to support the story.  Yet, it has some very interesting elements with the carpets and the toys.  With minimal cropping these could form the basis for a very strong self-sustained picture.

Roy Miller - Cars Leaving Raleigh
Brrr...  I think I can trace the various filters / perspective corrections applied to the original picture but there has been far too much PhotoShop activity IMHO.  The question that comes to my mind is what is the significance of this work.  Why did you crop down the original picture to a fourth and subsequently reshape the cropped image back to standard proportions?  Why did you subject that new image to a lot of PS filtering (solarize, localy desaturate, edges as I can tell)?

Thanks to those who cared to read these comments, a very MERRY CHRISTMAS on December 25 to those celebrating that event and best regards to everybody.

Guy Glorieux