Comments on 12-6-08 Gallery

All,

I don't comment often but felt strongly about a few of the images and wanted to add some thoughts on my own.

J Michael Sullivan: The play of all the crossed lines and colors is facinating. I tend to see scenes like this in B&W but appreciate those who shoot them like this.

David Dyer-Bennet: I've had that happen too where another's flash helps my photograph too. I wanted to know how you got the subject to smile like this?

Peeter Vissak: I like the composition and mood of this image. If you could lighten the ice a bit to bring it out more that would make this a real winner.

I'll come back to mine:-)

Emily L. Ferguson: A nice composition of an old bit of farm equipment. The merger of the tines with the wall on the left bothers me just slightly. I wonder if it would be more powerful in B&W?

Chris Strevens: An interesting attempt at a documentary shot. I don't mind the blur but the digital noise in his jacket bothers me.

Roy H. Miller: I like the concept. I feel the fill from the flash neds to be slightly less. You are also too close to a squared on shot but are slightly off. A different angle and less flash might have made this better.

Elson T. Elizaga: I'm writing this just before dinner and it's making me hungry. I would like to see a little more plate. It would also work better a bit darker.

A few comments on my own image. I have never photographed nudes before this workshop. Some recent changes in my life made me feel that I could now try this. I have viewed quite a number of photographs by many talented artists and always felt there were too many that looked too similar. I had seen the way the muscles, ribs and breasts fell and thought these forms could work well in the abstract. I know of several photographers who have done great abstract nudes but can't remember seeing some of the ones I made. I know there is much for me to learn especially regarding lighting. I am signed up for a lighting workshop in January which I hope will help. I have a folder on my photo.net portfolio with this image and more abstract nude examples. In addition I made some glamour nudes, more like those others shoot, which are also posted there. Feel free to send constructive comments directly, bad and good, to my e-mail address. I really liked making these and expect to do many more.

Mark Harris