-----Original Message-----
From: dmoore [mailto:dmoore007@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:51 AM
To: 'List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students'

Hello all, Let me re introduce myself since I've been a way from Photoforum for awhile. My name is Dave Moore, I live in Syracuse, NY, teach photography at Le Moyne College, and am also a commercial photographer and even make art sometimes when my schedule permits. I am planning to start taking some black and white landscapes, and I am deciding between two cameras: a 12MP Canon DSLR, or my 4x5 Graflex. I'm planning on making quite large prints, 20x24", and image quality is my main concern. I have 3 questions here: 1. dynamic range: I'm doubtful that the dynamic range of my DSLR files, even when shooting in Raw, can compare to black and white film. Any thoughts here? 2. image resolution: I'm also doubtful that the tiny little image sensor on a DSLR, even if it was a full frame DSLR which mine isn't, can compare in resolution to the 20 sq inches of image surface I get with 4x5, when enlarged to 20x24", or larger. 3. If shooting with 4x5, I plan to scan the negatives and print digitally. If I choose an output resolution of, say, 200PPI, does that neutralize any resolution advantage that 4x5 film would have over a high resolution digital file? I'm leaning heavily towards shooting 4x5 but before I do, I want to make sure that the loss of ease of use of a DSLR is really worth it, in terms of final print quality. Your thoughts and reactions here are very welcome. Thanks. Dave