Re: <no subject>

dmoore wrote:
1. dynamic range: I'm doubtful that the dynamic range of my DSLR files, even
when shooting in Raw, can compare to black and white film. Any thoughts
here?

2. image resolution: I'm also doubtful that the tiny little image sensor on
a DSLR, even if it was a full frame DSLR which mine isn't,  can compare in
resolution to the 20 sq inches of image surface I get with 4x5, when
enlarged to 20x24", or larger.

3. If shooting with 4x5, I plan to scan the negatives and print digitally.
If I choose an output resolution of, say, 200PPI, does that neutralize any
resolution advantage that 4x5 film would have over a high resolution digital
file?

I'm leaning heavily towards shooting 4x5 but before I do, I want to make
sure that the loss of ease of use of a DSLR is really worth it, in terms of
final print quality.

I've made 20x34 (image area) prints from 6MP DSLR (Fuji S2) and 10MP (Nikon D200) files, and they look very VERY good -- far better than I've ever been able to produce from 35mm film (caveat: Film advanced significantly after I stopped trying to make big prints from 35mm). The 6MP is a snow scene, and you can see tracks in the snow (extreme highlight) and twigs against the sky and so forth remarkably well. I have every reason to think a 4x5 would be better (if the lens is good and the technique is good), but I haven't tried that myself (printing that big; I do have a 4x5). The 6MP snow scene does NOT look as perfectly sharp as I'd like when "pixel peeped" on the print (examined from a foot away, say). It makes a very good impression from normal and somewhat close viewing distances, but it could be improved on. As a 35mm photographer, I'm very impressed that this thing (DSLR) that's now occupying the place of 35mm photography lets me do so much more, but it's not in fact going to put the Hasselblad digital cameras out of business.

So, that's the longwinded way of saying that you'll probably be happier with the 4x5 for resolution reasons, but that the difference may be smaller than you think (while still being significant).

Don't sweat the dynamic range of modern DSLRs; they're much better than you think. And, with HDR techniques, can wildly exceed film.

Similarly, digital mosaicing techniques ("panorama stitching") can greatly increase your resolution, too, for the sort of subjects that 4x5 is usable on.

I think you can probably make excellent prints from either capture method, if you know what you're doing.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info