Re: scanning negs?

Lea

Just my 2 cents and you know that free advise is worth what you pay for it.  Still first just accept the time, but if Vuescan is something I have been going to try with my older Minolta.  Its hard to believe how much that sucker cost vs what its worth now.  Oh well welcome to digital.

Time was always the big drawback of scanning.  IF they could build a fast, relatively inexpensive scanner that could produce huge files without many of the digital body problems, film would make a come back.

Black and white negatives are even worse.  Digital ice doesn't work on black and white (at least it didn't use to and I haven't checked in a while) so that means a lot of clean up after the fact.  Scanning gives us much more information, but its not nearly as clean an information source.

My advise would be to set up the scanner next to the TV.  Let the thing scan while you are watching tv or a dvd.  Archive them all.  Then you can clean them up as needed.  Digital copy is a possibility as well as others have mentioned and it is much faster, but I didn't get as good of results.

One other possibility is to send the film off to a scanning service  I saw a website that was offering really inexpensive scans, but the film had to be shipped to a point in the US, then off to India for the scans, then back.  Personally I wouldn't want to risk the loss during transit, but that is just me.  It is in India for the same reason MS tech support is there.

Let me know how vuescan works for you if you try it.  I was thinking about it myself.