Re: scanning negs?

Lea... What you need is a little Zen
Good music, (Or a good audio book) good coffee and an immense amount of patience is the immutable fact of scanning... Whatever you do it's going to take T I M E Devote a full day to it and relax into it You'll be surprised how many you'll get done.

By the time you've tested a few enlarger lenses, got the light even, colour corrected till you're blue in the face (If they're colour negs) spent ages lining the negs up etc. You may as well have just sat there and done the job with the Nikon scanner (Which does a great job, especially if you're using Vuescan. the software is $40 for the standard version and $80 for the Pro version (The standard is fine unless you have thousands of scans to do)

Herschel

Lea Murphy wrote:
I have borrowed a scanner from a friend. A Nikon Coolscan V ED.

It seems to be doing a lovely job but is quite slow. I'm doing 35mm negs.

Do I recall correctly that some on this lis have used a lightbox and macro lens to 'scan' negs?

If so, would those who have done it share tips and tricks for getting the best images?

I'd like to do several hundred negatives over the course of a year or so. Most if not all will be in black and white.

Thank you.

Lea

life is short. photograph it.
www.leamurphy.com