Re: scanning negs?

I use a Leica R8 w/ a DMR (Digital Back) and copy 35 and 120 negatives.
Here is an example of a 35mm negative, (Tri-x) using that technique.
http://www.tangobsas.com/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=imageview&var1=Portraits%2F39_L1062521.jpg

I have also used a Canon 30D and gotten good results.

You can use a macro lens for this, but I like the results that I get using enlarging lenses and a bellows.
I have used both a Focotar 60mm Leica Lens, and a Rodenstock 75mm D lens.

A good even light source is also important. While I have used a contact print light box, I prefer using a flash light source, because it eliminates vibration.

For flash use a Bowens Lumitran slide copier (available on e-bay) or set up a box with variable flash unit behind, and a translucent plastic on the front of the box. Then position (using a negative carrier, or a home built cardboard carrier) the slide or negative about 5 to 10 inches in front of that (I just slide one box over the other on their sides (to eliminate any light bouncing off the walls.)

I have printed 16" x 20" prints from the negative copies on my Epson 7600 printer, using Quadtone Rip, with great results.

Using a flash, this goes very quickly, and I have done over 300 negatives in less than 1/2 day.

If copying negatives, you can use Bibble Pro, as I do, or Photoshop, and invert the curve to get the positive.

I copy from the emulsion side, so I also have to flip the image, and adjust the levels.

Any questions, let me know

Steve H

Lea Murphy wrote:
I have borrowed a scanner from a friend. A Nikon Coolscan V ED.

It seems to be doing a lovely job but is quite slow. I'm doing 35mm negs.

Do I recall correctly that some on this lis have used a lightbox and macro lens to 'scan' negs?

If so, would those who have done it share tips and tricks for getting the best images?

I'd like to do several hundred negatives over the course of a year or so. Most if not all will be in black and white.

Thank you.

Lea

life is short. photograph it.
www.leamurphy.com