Re: Long digital exposures?

1.  Rich said:
"Here are a couple of mine:

Rich, there is something of Menzel's "Material World" in these pictures.  Particularly the second.  But with a terribly surreal atmosphere.  I like the concept, but I don't think that I could live with them on my wall for any length of time...

"Go out tonight and play.

Hey!  It's currently -5 Celsius (going down to -7 celsius) in beautiful Montreal and the weather-person expects the same for the rest of the week, at least 'till sunday...  Do you really think that this is the right kind of weather for me to go out and fool around and test my long term exposure skills??  No sir!

Now, my own experience with time exposure (under 1 minute) has been to get relatively grainy results (Sony A100 or pocket Canon).
But, can I raise the question: is there anything like "reciprocity error"  with digital to correct for? And why should there be (or not be) such an error?   -:)

2.  Square vision: some really interesting comments.  Why did they invent 8x10 format (I know... it's 4 times 4x5!)?  But then, ..  why did they invent 4x5...?

I viscerally hate that format.  But talk to me about16x9 or better 6x12, 6x13 (JH Lartigue) or best 6x17 or 6x24!  (Mucho dineros).

Best regards,

Guy