Re: Square vs rectangular vision - was Re: Long digital exposures?

I have to agree......  I haven't found frames for 8 X 12 or 12 X 18 prints.  If the frame makers can make 4 X 6 frames I don't understand why they don't accept the fact that there are other "2 X 3" prints.

Bob

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
I wonder whether those who have grown up using things like a Hassy are more acclimated to seeing square, for instance.  I've never shot anything but 35mm and still don't understand why it is so hard to find otc mats and frames for images with a ratio of 2:3.  11x14 is of no use to me, nor is 5x7, if I have a client who wants to go to somewhere like Wal*Mart and buy a cheap frame.

And it just bothers me no end to have to crop my images, because I've trained myself to look into the corners and try to make sure that everything in the viewfinder is at least conscious, if not deliberate.

I have a similar problem with the consumer digis, those cute little things that sit in a breast pocket and produce images also not 2:3 but something shorter in the long dimension.  They're not square, at least.

I know the year I shot at the paper we used no color, it took me about a month to stop seeing in color and see just in b&w.  Even now, I look at a cloudless sky, brilliant blue, and call it a bald sky, which it is in b&w.  Near the end of the autumn of that year I felt this panic, threw some color film in the camera and ran out to the nearest stand of oak trees which were stunningly bronze/gold/ruddy/burgundy.