RE: Long digital exposures?

Sinar (www.sinar.ch)  are the only ones I know use a peltier system backed up with a fan on their camerabacks. If you register you get access to more detailed information
Edwin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of karl shah-jenner
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:37 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Long digital exposures?

Alan asks:
> I was looking at various high-quality prints recently that ranged from
> P&S digital to 8 X 10 sheet film images. Some of the film images were
> made with very long exposures - up to 15 minutes! I hadn't given much
> thought about long-exposure digital images. But it dawned on me that I
> hadn't seen any - at least not any that resembled classic film images.
> Could one make, with a digital camera, Michael Kenna-type images where
> everything is very sharp except moving objects? In other words - small
> aperture, long, long exposure? No doubt something of the sort could be
> done as a PS illustration. That's not what I want to do.
>
> The problem is, of course, digital noise. Aside from noise reduction
> software is there a digital technique, perhaps used with the better
> cameras, that allows noiseless, minutes long, digital exposures?

not anything I've heard of..  the heat that builds up when a sensor is powered for long periods of time is going to generate noise and there's not really any workaround unless someone were to run a coolant through or attach a peltier  heatsink to the sensor.  Like Andys recent example of fanblades, there are just some things that cheap digital cameras cannot do anything near as well as film.

oh and by cheap, I mean consumer/pro cameras as opposed to specialty or custom built cameras ($$$)

In this instance film is cheaper and yields better results :)