Re: DIY photo equipment

Rush asks:

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:03 AM, karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
*a laser focussing aid for macro and large format photography (it can be used on any camera)

* a two / three beam pulsed infrared camera trigger - so say when the fly is precisely *here* in the frame (and 2 beams are broken) the camera goes off  or, when something cat height walks through this precise spot the camera fires, but not if something dog height walks through.  (I really should use this thing more too!)

hmmn , this should be a very useful DIY for me... Is there a possiblity of having more info on this one ???
Regards
Rush

both, or  ..?

the laser focus aid was nothing more complex than attaching a laser to the back of the viewfinder or ground glass screen where it makes a sharp point of light  - when the taking lens is open, the light is projected out through the front of the lens, now if the lens is focussed, it forms a sharp point of light on the subject, if out of focus, the lens isn't collimating the point of light and you end up with a broad beam (circle ) of light  - simple!

it works nicely to quickly and accurately focus large format cameras and for for macro work, and if you've a brighter green laser, it actually does a pretty respectable job of  aiding focus indoors.  Some of the brigher lasers even work well outdoors!

As to the crossed beam widget, I have some circuit diagrams lying about ehre somewhere - I can email them to you if you like.  I wanted to make these things commercially but stupid electronic 'anti-polutions laws'  all but killed all small local manufacturers here in Oz.

karl