Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame wars)

I wish I had heard this program.  I used to photograph CART races, never professionally, with my trusty OM-1n with the autowinder and that was a challenge.  Then when my Mother's friend Art, ie: arthritis, joined me I switched to a Canon A2e.  With the autofocus and faster motor I got more good shots and helped Kodak's bottom line.....

I have to admire those guys that shot with 4X5s and their photos.

Bob

Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
I was listening to the radio while driving home this afternoon.   I was surprised to hear the radio show was about photography.   The subject talked about was the photography of car races (I believe Danbury Races?) with a 4 X 5 Speed Graphic.  The two photographer's talking reminisced about when the photographer only had one chance to get "The" shot - when the action was at its apex, the lighting was perfect and there was no blurring.  It sounds rather challenging when we consider that we can shoot - how many images in seconds today?

I didn't get the photographers' names, but the conversation was interesting and I had to marvel at the thought of photographing car races with a 4 X 5.

It saddens me, and often amazes me, how sloppy much of today's photography is (images stretched or smashed to fit the area in which the photograph is injected - newspapers are usually guilty of this).

Marilyn