Re: Need help automating a task

Hello Karl and Emily,

Thank you for your answers!

The problem is somewhat more complicated... And yes, I plan to do this on a Windows computer (I do have a Linux box as well, and could use ImageMagick or GIMP, if I could figure out a way to do it...). I don't have Bridge.

The images are all in the same (and correct) orientation. However, they are all a bit off (varying between approx. 2-7 deg). I have no problem doing this manually in PhotoShop (I'm still at PS7). What I'm looking for is a way to recognize how much the image needs to be rotated, and then doing that automatically (using a high quality interpolator). Hopefully a batch file (or a script in Linux) can handle it. I just don't know enough to figure out how...

I'll give the autocrop function a go, but if I have to rotate manually, cropping is done at the same time (I simply rotate the crop frame).

Best regards,
Tom Einar Andersen

karl shah-jenner wrote:
T.E. Andersen asks:
: Hi all,
:
: I have a large number of scanned images with black borders. The images
: are also not perfectly aligned in the frame. Could anyone suggest a way
: to automatically rotate and crop the images to leave only (but all of)
: the image area?

Assuming a windows OS (apologies if this is wrong)

firstly I'd rotate them all, and for this I'd use irfanview (surprise! ;)

a bit of organization first - I'd create 2  folders called 'rr' and 'rl'
(rotate right and rotate left respectively) as subfolders to where your
images are.

open Ifanview, press T (thumbnails) then navigate to the folder where the
images are stored.

hold down the control button and click each image that is to be rotated
left then right click, select 'move images' , navigate to rl (maybe select
button 1 for this)  then press 1 on the keyboard

repeat for those to be rotated right etc..

close thumbnail view

navigate to the appropriate folder, open an image in irfanview then press B
(batch)
head to the advanced options and select rotate & hit OK

repeat for the other folder

then just cut and paste all the rotated images back where they came from

(you can actually write a BAT file - I have - to automate almost all of
that!)

ok, so that's blown off three minutes or so..

now to the borders..

I found that a search led to a lot of pages using The GImp (cross
platform) - google autocrop for more such as:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-autocrop.html

regards Karl
(THIS was what I was fiddling with when I hit reply to the wrong email!)