PF EXHIBIT on 9-20-08

Hi. I am going to attempt to give a productive, positive critique of the photographs entered in the photoforum exhibit for the week of 9-20-08. I am a new member & I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, but I want to be honest in my critiques. Thanks, Lara Ashby

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

Peeter Vissak:  I think this image is a wonderful natural portrait. It seems very real to life, not a put together portrait. Nice composition, everyone's in focus, nice  sharp, crisp image. The sky seems a little contrasty, washed out, no color. But since I have never been to Estonia, perhaps that's what your skies look like. Could have been a hazy or cloudy day. Either way, it's a nice portrait of what was going on that day. The picture tells the story very well.

Chris Strevens:  Looks like a beautiful place. Nice photographic document of where you've been. I personally would like to see it be a crisper image. Could be the quality of the camera or the setting of the picture quality in the camera. It is a digital camera, right? I'd like to see more of those giant looking trees. What kind of trees are they? I'm also interested in whats beyond the trees to the left & whats down the path to the right.

Valery Firsov:  I really like this portrait. It's very voyeristic, which is what we are as photographers. You really captured a private moment in this man's life. I also like the contrast of the medievil knight costume & the modern day backpack. Nice composition. Nice documentary. Nice job.

D.L. Shipman:  Well, I was more excited about the gallery thumbnail than when I viewed the full sized image. It's not that I don't like the content, that's what caught my attention. I thought it was an infrared image, but it was not. Did you use photoshop to give it the painterly, comic-book feel? I personally enjoy manipulating images in photoshop. Maybe a wider view of this scene would be more satisfying.

Emily L. Ferguson:  This is obviously an awesome-inspiring place for you. I have not been there, but would like to go someday. With the cropping of the image, you don't get a real feel for the size of the waterfalls. It's mysterious, but in an unsatisfying way. Why don't you turn around & take a picture of what's behind you, or pull back & take a larger view & include something other than the waterfall. Show us the behind the scenes pictures of Niagara Falls. This image leaves me wanting more.

Don Roberts:  I like the abstract quality of the image. If the title didn't describe the location, I would have no idea what it was. I can't tell the size of the place. If it were sharper, I could be more sure of what it is. I like the rainbow in it & the glassyness of the image.  It's very ethereal.  It grows on you. I actually really love this image. Was it intentionally abstract, or were you just trying to get an image from a difficult subject matter & environment as per your description?

Jim Snarski:  What a beautiful bird. Before I read your description, I thought it was a young Canadian Goose. I wish you wouldn't have cropped out the wings & feet. I also would like to see it a little more crisp. I hate to sound like a broken record with that comment, but it's how I feel. Could be you were using a telephoto lense from far away & thats why it's not supersharp. Digital camera, right? I like the subject matter & the action of the bird. Just pull back a little bit on your cropping of the image.

Pini Vollach:  Ahh...finally a sharp image. I really like this photo. This image is very painterly. It's abstract & realistic at the same time. I think that the duck should be more prominent. Maybe a little more contrast would bring the duck out more. I like the shimmering reflections. You can't tell what's going on, but it kind of looks like people. Nice photograph.

Thanks for reading. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Was not my intention.

Lara Ashby