Re: PF members exhibit 09-07-08

At 10:51 AM -0400 9/6/08, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated SEP 06, 2008. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

            Don Roberts - Royal Gorge

I thought from the title I'd be seeing a gorge. There's a whole bunch of technical stuff I'm not quite sure about - like why does there seem to be some lightness in the bridge grid work in the center below the cables. And what did Don think about the balance between the strong diagonal lines in the upper left and the grid work on the right side. The image doesn't seem to be deliberate and, rather than being "creative" it looks random.

            Quintin Tallon - Eric Girard 007

The contrast is really pushed hard, to me. I wonder as well how sharp the image is. Being out of the mainstream culture, I also wonder who Eric Girard is and whether I'm somehow supposed to know.

            Roy Miller - Time Get Blown Away

Well this is fun, and colorful, and I'll bet it was fun to make. I'd prefer all the flying to go in the same direction, however.

            Christopher Strevens - Roman Soldier

Snapshot of guy at Ren Faire pretending, with distracting too-sharp unrelated folks strolling by behind. Sort of akin to all the families standing in front of the railing in front of Niagara Falls - 'lookit us! We went to Niagara Falls!"

            Trevor Cunningham - torajan rice field

Hmm. Are the rice fields up the hill or down where the person is? And what are those piles of something yellow? I'm not sure I'd have left the curved line with the piles of yellow stuff there. The contrast between its curve and the curve at the base of the hill makes me uneasy.

            Gregory david Stempel - Seattle Space Needle No. 4

It's fun to do this. The wind must be blowing gently to keep the highway signs slightly unsharp. Perhaps it was not necessary to use quite such a long exposure or small aperture to get the same effect? Then the risk of blowing out the white lights would have been lessened? Did you experiment with wider apertures?

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx