Re: Rear curtain synch question

Thanks everyone for your useful tips and ideas, much appreciated, knew I
could rely on the forum to clear up a few things for me. I'll try a few
different ways of doing it but feel a lot more confident about it...if it's
any good I'll post it up for your inspection.

And also thanks for the pointers on copyright, fortunately it's not a direct
copy the client is after, just the feel of the image...ghostly see-through
image type thing.

Cheers,

Jonathan.

On 8/9/08 19:08, "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, September 8, 2008 11:38, jonathan turner wrote:
>
>> The picture is shot in a church (quite dark and lit with ambient light)
>> and
>> has a woman with a torch, who appears to have a ghostly quality about her
>> (she is 'see-through' but frozen by a small amount of flash). I believe it
>> has been shot using the 'rear curtain synch' mode, though I may be wrong.
>
> Sounds like a typical combination of continuous light during a long
> exposure with some flash.  "rear curtain" synch is when the flash is
> triggered just before the second curtain of the focal-plane shutter starts
> to close (normally the flash is triggered as soon as the first curtain is
> fully open).  (If you happen not to know how a focal plane shutter works
> I'm sure the net is full of articles with nice illustrations and such.) So
> "rear curtain" means that the moving subject is frozen at the *end* of
> their travels during the exposure (which is almost always what you want
> for this kind of shot).
>
> As I just mentioned to Andy, I remember my camera (Nikon D200) manual as
> having a note that rear-curtain synch doesn't work with studio flash.  I
> don't have the book here to give any more detail.  And it makes no sense
> to me.  Which is why I remember it so clearly.  So you'd better do some
> tests ASAP to make sure you know what works with *your* setup.

Jonathan Turner
Photographer

e: home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
t: 0113 217 1275