Re: Film/Slide Scanner

--- On Thu, 9/4/08, karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Film/Slide Scanner
> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 9:33 AM
> Mark writes:
>

> : Scanning takes time, but it hardly has to be the only
> thing you are doing while the scanner is running.  I just
> finished a long delayed scan project of close to 1000
> images.  It took a couple of weeks, but I would watch TV,
> read a book ect during the scan time.  In other words it was
> my more or less non productive time anyway.  It took that
> long because my scanner could only hold 6 at a time.  I
> almost used the excuse to get a scanner that would do a full
> roll of 35mm at one sitting.  Then I could start scanning
> and then go to bed.  When I wake up the next morning 6 times
> the work would have been done.
>
> are these negs?

Some were and some were slides.

> I'm confused - so many people have good DSLR's
> these days yet when it comes to digitising slides they still
> scan when using any old slide copier would be *so* much
> quicker and give results as good as their wonderful dslr can
> take
>
> Since getting my first DSLR I have not and cannot imagine
> firing up the scanner for anything less than 4x5 chromes or
> negs
>
> mind you,

A slide copier would have worked, but IF they were used it might need to be at least a 50 mg file and my dlsr wouldn't do that.  I did that with some older prints from the wife's side of the family.  It is quicker and it works, but I only wanted to do this once.

> as soon as I get the mask sorted and can work a good way to
> shoot negs and reverse/demask them, I'll be doing that
> by digicam too

The easier way there is a 25cent print, but there probably is a series of steps you can go through in photoshop that will demask a negative.  I don't know what they are, but there is probably someone out there that does.