Re: Online studies?

Well just an opinion it depends on how the course is set up.  First the technology is such that with a web cam and a high speed internet connection a one on one would be not only possible but viable.

With the ability to share files back and forth, a white board to use much like a blackboard of old, and a creative teacher that will think outside of the traditional box in which they were trained (and yeah I got trained in the traditional educational box.  I just never developed the fear of trying things they didn't teach like some did) I see no reason why it couldn't be a VERY effective method of teaching.

Now is it in many of these forms we see today?  That's a different question.  Some I have seen and taken on other subject matters varied for really good to worthless.

What I found is that not all teachers are good writers, and stuff placed on webpages for you to learn from much like a text book are really just teachers writing their own text's.  Some are good writers, and others not so good.  The stock web page though isn't customized for a particular students skills and abilities.

I took a lesson from an artist the other day trying to gain some insight on how an artist thinks on posing.  A wonderful lady.  She was very knowledgeable about her art, but as a teacher she struggled to adapt her knowledge to my needs.  It just didn't work.  It wouldn't have worked online any better.

That's the biggest issue.  Teaching is demanding enough as it is.  Doing it online makes the job even more demanding.  In most cases if its available, I would take the course another way.  Yet if you are in a more rural or remote area, that isn't an option so its online or nothing.

I am old, but am I that old.  I checked out the Savannah College of Art and Design and the Masters program in photography.  The cost shocked me at almost $3000 a course.  Wow has that gone up.