Re: Vista vs D1x

AS Karl said, the big problem is Vista.

A card reader is the way to go for a number of reasons:  The camera will always be ready for any opportunity (assuming you have more than one media card), there is lower risk of having files being corrupted due to battery failure in the camera during transfer, and the camera won't be in the way on the computer desk so it won't get bumped.

Format the media in the camera not in the reader......

Bob

karl shah-jenner wrote:
How are you doing out there?

If this is a repeat question, forgive me. My memory last nearly as long as a
cup of water in a rushing river.

Does anyone know why my Vista machine will not recognize my Nikon D1x
camera? I plug the camera in as I have always done with my XP laptop but
nothing happens. It does show up bamo, right there on my XP machine. But, on
Vista, the D1x is simply not there.

When I plug my D200 in, bamo, there it is, recognized by both Vista and XP
as an external drive.

http://www.dslrphoto.com/2007/03/06/windows-vista-compatibility-list-for-nikon-dslr/
"Nikon currently do not plan to offer compatibility for D1-series cameras (D1X, D1H, D1) connected to a computer with Windows Vista preinstalled. Use a card reader or card slot to transfer images"

the main problem with Vista (aside from the fact it is Vista) is that few manufacturers or developers bothered to write drvers or develop support for it

it's not just a windows thing - the newer ipods are unsupported under older versions of the apple os

I think it's a case of they'd like us to throw everything away and upgrade everything on an annual basis :/

hoewver, if you dont want to get a card reader, a long winded workaround is available from ..

miscosoft!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=28C97D22-6EB8-4A09-A7F7-F6C7A1F000B5&displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/sysreq.mspx

Virtual pc 2007 from microsoft.
"Its free and runs xp fine on my machine which runs vista.
It sets up a virtual pc on a partition it creates.
Great for running programs under xp that wont run on vista.
Dennis"

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/default.mspx

in fact you can run just about any MS product (including DOS or 3.11) under Vista as though ti were the main OS.  A nice workaround for those suffering Vista under duress

and it's free

yay

                           /////
                          ( O O )
--------------------oOOO-----O----OOOo-----73 de w8imo@xxxxxxxx------
             I plan to live forever.  So far, so good......