Equipment choice questions

Well in light of the recent discussion on film vs digital I am about to begin to consider an equipment choice.

Film technology I think is safe to assume has peaked.  I don't think Canon or Nikon will likely be developing any more film cameras.  I am a Canon guy.

I can buy one piece of equipment and need a body.  The choice is a used absolute top of the line Canon EOS 1V that should remain so the rest of my life or the digital body.  I am using now an EOS 1 and a Canon 10D.  If I had my choice Id get the 40d or 5D with the digital bodies, but budget may limit me to a digital rebel which is about the same price as the 1V.

Ah the decisions.