Re: Adobe Lightroom / international prices

from Pini

> No way !
> I tried by all means to buy it directely from Adobe but didn't succeed.
> I bought it here in Israel for more than duble the price.

you want to see the various prices for macs in differing countries!!

now the exchange rate first.. 400.00 USD = 430.164 AUD

US:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB413G/A?mco=NzkxNTYw
Apple Memory Module - 4GB 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400) - 2x2GB $400

Australia:
http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB413G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw
Apple Memory Module - 4GB 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400) - 2x2GB $600

of course the prices then scale in the most horrific manner!

but that's not the only madness, consider the cost of opening a mac case..

from the website let us 'Configure your Mac Pro' .. lets play with the RAM

 (now there's 4 slots standard)

Apple's site gives:

2GB (2x1GB)  (standard)
4GB (4x1GB) [Add AUD$ 710.00]
8GB (4x2GB) [Add AUD$ 2,130.00]     #A
16GB (4x4GB) [Add AUD$ 6,100.00]    #1
16GB (8x2GB) [Add AUD$ 4,970.00]    #B
32GB (8x4GB) [Add AUD$ 12,900.00]   #4

#1 - 4x4 Gb chips = $6100, or $1525 each

#4  8x4Gb chips = 12,900 or  $1612.50 each

huh!  you'd think it'd cost $12,200 based on the 16Gb config, but it
seems apple charge an additional $700 to plug in the extra 4 ram chips!!
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB413G/A?mco=NzkxNTYw )

#A 4x2Gb chips is $2,130 or 532.50 each 2Gb chip
#B however 8 of these 2Gb chips costs $4,970

*** an additional cost of $710 this time to open the case and plug in the extra RAM ***

they also blither on with
"The Mac Pro now uses faster 800MHz DDR2 fully buffered ECC memory, an
industry-standard memory technology that allows for more memory
capacity, greater bandwidth, and better reliability. To take full
advantage of the 256-bit-wide memory architecture, four or more FB-DIMMs
should be installed in the Mac Pro.

Please note: Apple created a more robust thermal specification for the
Mac Pro FB-DIMM heat sinks that provide more efficient cooling than many
other FB-DIMMs. These FB-DIMMs require less airflow to stay cool and
allow the internal fans to spin at slower speeds, improving system
acoustics. FB-DIMMs made by other manufacturers that do not include a
sufficient heat sink may cause the fans to run faster (and louder) or
the memory chips to run slower so as not to overheat

who makes these RAM chips? (it's not apple) whoever it is, the special heatsinks that apple suggest it needs seem to
cost a lot!!

karl