Re: Canon Digital Rebel Series

I been playing around with an Canon Rebel XT. In jpeg on least compression
at the Large size it produce a file of 2.8 to 3.9 MB. I was surprised it was so
compressed.  A Tiff file at the same dimensions and dpi would be 22.8 MB.
I looked at the spec page in the back of the manual and  it say effective pixels 8.0 megapixels and total pixels 8.20 megapixels. For Raw it says it is 12 bit and file size is approx. 8.3 MB.

I am beginning to wonder if a raw file at 8.3 MB has the same quality as a slide ASA 100 scanned at 22.8 or so MB?
I know some of the newer and probable more expensive cameras are 16 bit and deliver a 12 bit file for better tone gradation like on skin tones

Roy