Re: Greenberg v. National Geographic

Thanks.

For a while I was the regional photographer for my employer.  Ir was always my understanding that since I was being paid by them and they were covering all my costs the photos I took were theirs to do with as they pleased.  We had no formal contract but the job description I agreed to included "other duties as assigned."

Bob

James Schenken wrote:
Bob:

Here is the opinion.

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200516964.ENB.pdf

I've read some of it ( it's quite long ) and my take on the gist of it is that a publication that make and electronic copy of its own publication that is electronically identical to the original ( contains the complete context, allows the user / viewer to page back and forth etc. ) is completely within the current copyright law.  A publisher can make as many copies of the original work ( here : Magazine issue ) as desired unless there is some limitation in the original contract with one or more of the contributors.

This decision merely clarifies that this rule applies to electronic copies as well.

Cheers,
James