Re: PF exhibit 06-28-08

Thanks for the comments on my picture,

Actually, I've been creating these pictures for the past couple of years and I'm now working on a book.  I normally start with a package of well over 80 pictures (10Mg each), shot hand-held from roughly the same center-of-rotation, sometimes shot on different days or at different hours of the day. The angle-of-view can exceed 180-degrees in all directions.  I feed these  pictures to a stitching program and remove individual pictures one-by-one until I get an image that is the best representation of the mood of the scene I wanted to capture.

This can be a pretty lengthy process, with a lot of back-and-forth, and the sequence for removing individual components is not neutral to the look of the final image.  In fact, you need to have a pretty good ex-ante view of what the final image will look like to keep you on track.  It's a bit like when you're burning and dodging in the darkroom...  I never use a tripod because I want to build a certain amount of softness and/or continuity-breaks in the final image.

Much of this work is urban landscape and I've posted some occasionnally on the PF gallery. I also work with small groups of people and the process can lead to very intimate group scenes since the pictures are shot over a period of time.  This provides a lot more visual material to combine into a single group image than 1/4000th second with flash...  -:)

Regards,

Guy