Re: Photo Storage Gizmos

Tim asks:
: HI folks:
:
: I am planning to attend Airventure 2008 (www.airventure.org) this year
: and make a big photographic push while im there --- i'll be shooting
: on my D300 and shooting in all raw.  I will have my laptop at the
: campsite, and will (as in past years) use it to download pictures.
: The problem is this - id like a way to back up my pics in the field.
: Ive seen the epson product that allows you to transfer pics from your
: cam to it.  Im wondering what else is out there -- due to the way i
: shoot in the field, i DONT need a big bright screen on the device,
: just need to be able to pop the flash card into the box and have it
: pull my pictures off and onto the internal hdd and then i can re-cycle
: the card if i need to (i carry 15gb of cards currently, and part of my
: stimulus check is going into more cards.)
:
: i have tried to google search them -- and im not sure what to call the
: lil buggers -- any one that can point me to devices etc?  any reviews
: / input?

image tanks / photo storage are both good terms to google.

vosonic have been in the game for an age.. they usually call their models  'X's-drive'

here's a link to a page on the oldest of the X-drives - no preview screen but having used these and later models for years I've never needed a screen (this is their old usb 1.0 model)
http://www.card-media.co.uk/xsdrive.htm

and a comparison between a few models
http://www.card-media.co.uk/comparison+chart.htm

and a photo site review of the beastie
http://dpnow.com/Features/Peripheral_reviews/perif8/perif8.html

"In virtually every respect the X's-drive is equal or superior to the Image Tank and it's cheaper too"

and the current lineup
http://www.xs-drive.com/

some of the older models:
http://www.xs-drive.com/museum.htm

the one I have now is a XS-DRIVE PRO VP300

the college I worked used to allow the students to borrow mac laptops for backup purposes, but they kept breaking them (!)  Too many smashed LCS, cases and wrecked hard drives, so I introduced the XS- Drive  original and the II's .. last I hears these old beasts were still hard at work doing their jobs :)

karl