for the windows users

..with a mac teaser

I see http://portableapps.com/apps has a portable version of The Gimp :)

I've been converting a lot of programs over the years to run portable and loading them to my pcs as static programs (no registry nonsense, no uninstalls :), but having most of my programs available wherever I go on my usb stick or even my phone is a blessing.. plug it in wherever I am and there are all my programs ready to use :)

(I hear there's even a not-quite-legal portable version of CS3 that's available if you know where to look)

.. but back to the legal stuff, if anyone's interested, the Gimp is a 17Mb download.

I'm surprised they haven't got Opera, Irfanview and some of the other more popular progs set up portable on their site but for those who are interested, copying the installed directory to a thumbdrive will do the trick..  actually I see there's a *lot* of commonly portable stuff missing from this site - but they do have The Gimp.

and for the mac users:
Mac-on-Stick - Run Mac OS Classic 7 portably

for win XP users who also want their own all-in-one standalone OS, there's this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MojoPac
- you can have a legitimate PS CS3 installed portable if you go this route
the site: http://www.mojopac.com/

Always have your programs with you wherever you go, ready to use when you need them, loaded to your ipod, phone or ubs stick :)

karl