From: Jim Thyer
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: I can't remember the process

Marilyn

I can think of a couple of options, but having problems remembering any details.

Your "purple" solution could involve either an Iodine reducer of Potassium Permanganate reducer.

There is a process I have tried some 5-7 years ago called "Bleach-Etch" process.  Here a print is immersed in a bleach/etch solution, (no details to hand on this solution, may have information elsewhere if needed), then swabbed with a cotton wool pad to remove loosened gelatine.  Reollect that after this I dyed the remaining gelatin base with a food dye or similar.

Possible reference, Kent E Wade, Alternative Photographic Processes  published by Morgan & Morgan, 1978.  There is a chapter on Beyond the Black & White.

If you want any further information please get back to me privately.  jimth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    May have more time next week to look for old notes.

Jim Thyer