Re: photo storage question

I can still open TIFFs from the 1980s -- tiff has an open, extensible architecture that pretty much guarantees backward compatibility. I wouldn't worry about tiff files not being compatible in the future.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:46:11
To:List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: photo storage question

Agreed Lea, but a perfectly working disk with a perfectly working drive might still have to be transfered to another medium at some point to keep the information usable.  Even now the image formats likely will change and there could easily come a time with TIFF and JPG become obsolete and would require conversion.

Most of the storage estimates we have today are just estimates.  Total SWAGs or educated guesses and that is the best we can do because the medium hasn't been around that long.  We know for the most part how long negatives work and we still have some that are still printable made with crude material by todays standards.

Now to the issue of duplication, yes a digital file can be duplicated perfectly, but I would think of that as the print not the negative.  That negative can also be used to duplicate as many images as you want.

For the managed archive, digital does have some huge advantages, but they are not as pronounced as one might seem.  The biggest one may be to have the images available at your fingertips.  By the time you figure in the cost to convert the files and images a few times in its lifetime the cost of digital starts to add up.  With film reasonable storage conditions and its pretty much worry free.