From: Stephen Ylvisaker <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 10:04:12 AM
Subject: Re: photo storage question

----- Original Message -----

> I've had four DVDs fail. Meaning the data didn't write or couldn't be
> read. You couldn't pay me to use it as a back up medium.
>
> Lea
>
> life is short. photograph it.
> www.leamurphy.com

A local photographer also backs up, today, to hard drives. He used to backup to CD's and learned the hard way that he needed to always buy the best quality CD's. Then it was DVD's. He learned also, in the process, that DVD's and CD's can LOSE the data written to them; ie. it can degrade over time. Images he burned a couple of years ago are now irretrievable. Now, it is hard drives only, and he has many.

Stephen