Re: photo storage question

Stephen Ylvisaker wrote:

A local photographer also backs up, today, to hard drives. He used to backup to CD's and learned the hard way that he needed to always buy the best quality CD's. Then it was DVD's. He learned also, in the process, that DVD's and CD's can LOSE the data written to them; ie. it can degrade over time. Images he burned a couple of years ago are now irretrievable. Now, it is hard drives only, and he has many.

Well, I wish him luck, but in my experience the optical media are a lot more stable than magnetic media. I've yet to have an optical disk that passed initial verification fail later, whereas disks fail in use every year or so.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info