Re: photo storage question

I've had four DVDs fail. Meaning the data didn't write or couldn't be read. You couldn't pay me to use it as a back up medium.

Lea

life is short. photograph it.
www.leamurphy.com

On Apr 27, 2008, at 6:03 PM, "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I back up to DVD. Two sets, one off site. RAWs are backed up to them as well as keepers. I am sloppy about system backups, and do have some folders which aren't backed up at all, like my business paperwork. Once every couple years or so I pull the entire non- image folder and throw it on whatever size non-moving medium will hold it all.

I also maintain a folder of jpegs of every one of my keepers, in a folder hierarchy that mirrors that on my external hard drive.

I have an external Firewire 500G Western Digital drive which holds all my master image files for ready access, but not as backup.

LaCie has a very poor reputation on the Mac-L, Maxtor sort of mezza- mezza, Western Digital and Seagate are most frequently recommended.

Hard drive are mechanical, non-moving media get superceded and the entire backup has to be done every time. It's been x years since DVDs gave CDs a run for their money, x (6?) years since zip cartridges were worth bothering with, x (8) years since floppies became irrelevant and one can still buy USB external floppy drives for those who didn't understand these transitions.

I have more faith in my DVDs enduring as a medium for another 6 years after watching the progression from floppies to DVDs over the years!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx