Re: PF exhibit on April 12, 2008

At 9:00 AM -0400 4/12/08, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated APR 05 2008. Authors
with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

             Trevor Cunningham - orchid

Tricky to expose a plant on a stem for that long without any whiff of wind. Aside from that success I don't experience the IR as contributing anything in particular to the subject matter.

             Valery Firsov - talk

This image is too big for display on the forum. I have a 19" monitor and have to scroll down to see the bottom of the image. Please set up an action to resize your submissions, folks. It's not rocket science.

Aside from that gripe, I still appreciate Valery's sense of composition, balancing of detail (as in the sweaters) and outside-the-box perspective. The exact location of the church spire between the two women, the glint of light on their hair, the slight softness of the entire image still maintaining the shallow depth of field - maybe it's the film quality, maybe it's the scan quality, maybe it was the photographer's intention, maybe it's the restraints of life on the "other side" - whatever it is Valery makes it all come together to touch my sensibilities.

             Robert G. Earnest -

So you suffer from Phragmites too, hey? Interesting how all cities look the same now from across water. Do we have to memorize unique buildings to know at a glance which city we're viewing? The grey sky reinforces the sameness of our cities as we descend into a worldwide suburbanity.

             Jim Snarski - GreatWhite

Needs more space in front of the head. Interesting how there's no sense of going anywhere when you crop the behind and in-front-of space so it's equal. Would be neater if there were just the slightest bit of movement at the tips of the feathers

             Howard Leigh - The Love Of A Lifetime

So sweet how he loves her and she's aware of being watched. Women and men! Tweak the curve a tiny little bit to bring some texture into his skin and you won't miss the fill flash!

             Karl Shah-Jenner - boat on the Mekong

Yeah? So? Would like to see the other end of the boat, so it doesn't look like a house on a pier. And some shadow. Just midday.

             Marilyn Dalrymple - The Kiss

I see it in the thumbnail but it gets lost in the full size.

             Christopher Strevens - Lake

Sometimes these gimmicks work and sometimes I'm just not up for them. The colors are too unreal for my taste today. Who knows about tomorrow!

Thanks, as always, to our cheerleader and his staff. What would we do without him?!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx