Re: Photography issues in the U.K. (was Scary Article)

So far I have never been stopped in the street when taking photographs, though admittedly I am careful to avoid taking photographs when police officers are around! But the law in the U.K. leaves ANY photographer open to be stopped and arrested under the AntiTerrorism laws, whilst at the same time there is no law prohibiting photography in a public place! What a mess... To be honest I would object to being asked pleasantly by a P.C. about my intentions, but it's the arrogant high-handed way in which it is carried out that is disturbing - I'm trying not to be paranoid, but I do see the creeping insidious signs of a developing police state in all this. The Amateur Photography reference below is serious evidence of this. It seems that any P.C. or C.P.S.O. thinks he/she has the right to define any place and themselves as "sensitive material". I am wondering about a spoof I.D. badge to wear saying I'm an "Official Photographer" carrying my name and a made-up I.D. number! The Plod in the U.K. are daft enough at times to think it will mean I'm allowed to take photos anywhere!! Meanwhile I'll just pray that looking my age of 68 will make them believe I'm too old to be a threat.

Howard

karl shah-jenner wrote:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/03/you-cant-pictur.html

feature comment is by a former student of mine, Paul Amyes
""Last year I visited the UK and was arrested under suspicion of being a terrorist and paedophile by two police officers. I was taking photos in the street of a popular tourist location in the South East of England. It was for me an incredibly frightening experience. I'm disabled and walk with the aid of a stick. I was approached by two officers who immediately started pushing me around and threatening to 'Tazer' me unless I co-operated. I was made to lie face down in the street while I was handcuffed and searched. My equipment was threatened with confiscation and destruction under the the 'Prevention of Terrorism Act.' It was only when I taken down the station and I asked to speak to the Australian Consulate that things started to change. After three hours of being held in a cell I was told I could go only if I agreed to not take the matter any further. If I wanted to make a complaint I was told that I could be held for a further 72 hours without charges. As I had a plane to catch that night I thought better of the whole situation and agreed not to make a complaint.
"Later in the year I went to China. I was allowed to photograph where and what I liked. I even had police officers and soldiers posing for me at Tiananmen Square. People regard China as a totalitarian police state, but its ironic that I was treated better there than I was in Britain.

"Now having seen that video and the the new posters put out by the Metropolitan Police about photographers it has certainly strengthened my resolve to never return to Britain."

<http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/antiterror_police_defend_campaign_targeting_suspicious_behaviour_of_people_with_cameras_news_195594.html>

karl