Potassium Iodine and permanent marker?

Hi group.

I had a student pose an alternative process question for which I cannot answer.

Does anyone have an idea of what this student is referring to?

" There was a technique I learned in high school which I'm pretty sure is called photo bleaching. It's where you draw over a black and white photo in permanent marker then let it sit in potassium iodine or some chemical. I was wondering if you were familiar with this technique, and if so, if you could help me obtain the materials I would need and teach me the exact process. I wanted to use this
technique in my final black and white photography project."

Scott Weisman
Photography Studio Technician
University of Arizona
School of Art