Re: PF exhibit on April 12, 2008

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

Valery Firsov – Talk

I’m torn on this one.  As I’ve said before, I love this series of images.  This particular capture has an antique quality to it that the others haven’t.  It almost looks like it could have been from the 1920’s, especially with the fogging at the base.  The heavy grain also gives it an alt-process look, like a carbon transfer or a lamp black gum.  The composition seems a little unbalanced…I don’t get the impression that the girls are talking about the building in the background, which has such a strong pull on my attention.  I think the only thing pulling me back to the girls is the detail on the sweaters.

Robert G. Earnest – untitled

This is just a pleasant image.  Calm and relaxing.  I might have cropped out the sprig on the right and have waited for the wake to clear before taking the shot.  Good neutral tones.

Jim Snarski – Great White

Beautiful!  It seems like it’s still moving.  Amazing capture and exposure.  My favorite of the week.

Howard Leigh – The Love of a Lifetime

A lovely image.  I really like the color here.  It’s so soft and natural.  You have really inspired me to go out and buy one of these Epsons…although, the 4990 is discontinued.  Does anyone know the current equivalent offhand?

Karl Shah-Jenner – Boat on the Mekong

Great color!  Was the boat moving, or were you on a larger vessel passing?

Marilyn Darlymple – The Kiss

Cute.  That hard field of blown out white throws everything off for me.  Shooting this for maximum effect would have likely required more than available light.  It makes me think of this slideshow I looked at from NatGeo that demonstrated the multitude of lighting arrangements a photographer used to get the right shot of bodies found in a peat bog.

Chris Strevens – Lake

One of the more interesting of these types of images I’ve seen you put out.  I like the watercolor effect on this one…fitting with the lake and all.  However, you lose me on the brush effects at the image edge and the patterned border.

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer