Re: Photograph? Watercolor?

Well since I made the orginal comment I'm sitting here feeling a little bit rebuked! But only a little: it was a personal comment, i.e. my own feelings not a snipe at Marilyn's work or at anyone else's. Perhaps I'm a little bit jaundiced by spending a lot of my time steering "raw" students away from the idea that every digital photograph needs to be photoshopped to be valued and the whackier the result the better it becomes. As I said in my original post I can neither paint nor draw and am envious of those who can. So I'd love to see see Marilyn's paintings. The difference - for me - though comes between the purely manual skills the painter has and those that are derived no matter how cleverly, from those of the skilled programmers at Adobe or elsewhere. Nevertheless, I admire the work of Bert Monroy; though I do find his work somewhat sterile I could never achieve anything even remotely as skilled. Likewise the creations of people succeeding in the Photoshop User Awards (see http://www.photoshopuserawards.com/winners.php). But maybe I just feel that Photography is in danger of forgetting and losing its roots which were based in some effort to capture a real moment, in favour of generative and non-real image making. That Photography is about "as it is" and not fantasy.
Perhaps I'm a Luddite in the new world of digital imagery!!

But at least my comment stimulated quite a few responses...

Howard