Re: Project I am working on and I like opinions an input

These kind of personal memories are I believe important to me to establish a perspective.  As 45 years have passed a contrast should be easy to find.  Contrast and perspective change should make for some powerful photos, and maybe some text to go with it.  I appreciate you sharing yours.  Being old enough at the time for children, yours are far greater than mine.  What I remember is very very clear, considering I was only 5 at the time.

The project is to show how decisions of a single person can affect so many people for so long.  Some are profound.  Some are surprising.  Some are little known.  Others almost comical, some tragic, and many involving kindness.  If I can pull it off, the work won't be so much about Kennedy himself, but the long term impact.

My goal is not to answer questions, but to ask them leaving the viewer thinking what if this had not happened, where would we be now?

Is this project worth moving forward with?  Honestly right now its hard to say, but the work will tell my heart if its right to move ahead.

Roger Eichhorn <eichhorn@xxxxxx> wrote:
Mark,

This won't help you with your interesting project. But, I remember
the day vividly. I was at the Imperial College in London, on leave
from Princeton University to do research. My wife called me from home
saying that she had heard that Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. We
knew little else at the time. As I walked to the Underground that
evening, I picked up a copy of an "Extra" the Evening Standard had
published. It too had little information. The next day, much was
clear. We began getting letters of condolence from the parents of our
children's friends and classmates. One said, "Kennedy was our
President too!" and expressed remorse at his loss. That weekend, the
embankment around the US Embassy was covered with flowers, with more
arriving by the minute. The line of people waiting to sign a
condolence book in the embassy was blocks long. We gave up waiting.
I remain touched by the sentiment expressed by the Brits. My children
(5), then aged 5 yrs. to 10 1/2 yrs. have vaguer memories!

Photography was a thing I did as a tourist, or as a researcher in the
laboratory, at that time. It never occurred to me to try to document
what we saw or what was happening around us. If I did, one of my
children has them, after promising to organize them somehow!

Roger