photography and tolerance

Here’s trouble…..

Photography has a lot to do with understanding life. Rule #1: Know your subject.

Anything that enlightens you will enlighten your students and may even improve your images.

Anything that shuts you down in any way or prevents you from seeing will be inherently bad for your creativity

Are we educators or WHAT?

Anything that upsets you can be an opportunity for visual exploration. It’s a helluva world out there and not much of it is nice.

There are no photographs or education worth anything in …..nice, nice, nice, nice, nice… f:stops…nice   500th…. Nice ISO…Nikon….Canon…Hasselblad….blah blah. Consumerism…Epson lighting diagram…ink…layers… The fast-food end of image making…

All the pretty family portraits and beautifully lit automobile photographs are simply the Wendy’s of our profession or is it a calling or maybe an art.  God knows I made a good living doing this stuff and I’m not knocking it, but, as educators we have some responsibility to be bigger than that. To ensure our students have an empathy with the “Other side” of our field.

It isn’t about seeing only what you like or hearing only what you want to hear.

Nor is it about seeing what somebody else deems appropriate for your level of understanding or tolerance.

One of our great missions is that of revelation. Making visible the invisible.

Herschel